Monday, June 18, 2007

What if ... we let our actions speak louder then our words?

We all know this familiar saying but how often do we really live as though that were true.

How often do we say we will do something but then don't ever get around to doing it. How often do we express ourselves to others with words but our actions don't show it?
I'm guilty!

Especially when it comes to my husband, I find myself making sure I get my point across by getting the last word in. The older I get the more I seem to struggle with this which doesn't ever help the situation.

What has helped is when I've allowed my actions to speak far more then my words. A scripture I continually need to remind myself of is:

1 Peter 3:1-2 Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be own over without words by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives...

v. 4 Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful.

3 comments:

lifecoachlynn said...

So true Lori! My oldest daughter has let me know when my walk and talk don't match up. Talk about accountability!
The saying is true that we may be the only Jesus people see. Can people still be drawn to Christ when we show our human side? I believe so. People can smell real or phony a mile away. When we live with genuine faith, showing our human side will show the need for Christ in others' lives!

Anne said...

Lori, just last week I came home and immediately started harping on my teenage son for not doing what I thought he should have done, even though I hadn't asked him. He told me later that he's always kind of scared when I come home because he never knows if I'm going to yell at him. Oh, how that tore my heart. It's true. All my frustrations and stresses are so easy to take out on my kid, when I would never do the same with someone else. I had to ask his forgiveness and God's, and I vowed never to take that action again. Then my son and I discussed what I would like him to take care of while I'm at work. So this in particular is really speaking to me tonight: "the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit". May God keep growing that kind of spirit within me.

Randee said...

I found myself in a situation while on vacation where a particular action I took was called into question. My initial internal response was resistance.

I went to the Bible for the "answer" and I found it. Regardless of my personal belief system, if I become a stumbling block to another, then I have sinned. It's a tough pill to swallow.