Friday, July 6, 2007

What if..We Paid Attention to Our Needs?

I just went through three weeks of insomnia. There was nothing stressful or spiritually upsetting in my life. My body just decided it was going to be stubborn and not function properly. (For any of you who have had bouts of sleep deprivation, you know how frustrating this is!!)
A little proactive investigating on my part led me to a homeopathic doctor who was able to pinpoint a specific hormone that was completely depleted, which was causing my insomnia. I was ever so grateful to learn that there was something actually wrong and I wasn't crazy!!
During my three weeks of non-existence, it forced me to focus on God for help and wisdom to get to the bottom of what was wrong. There are some lessons I have had to learn through this and wanted to share those with you.

1. Don't ignore your body. Heart disease is the leading cause of death among women today. Why? Because they ignore the signs. Women are known to focus on everyone and everything else EXCEPT themselves.

2. Keep in mind that your body, mind and spirit (physical,mental and spiritual) must be in balance in order for you to function optimally for God. If one area is off balance, the others are affected as well. Take action to get yourself back in balance.

3. Rest. Recognize when your body, mind or spirit is weary and force yourself to rest. If you don't, you'll be miserable and everyone else will know how miserable you are too!!

Live Out Loud Ladies!!

www.lynnjarrett.com

5 comments:

Randee said...

Lynn, I'm so glad to hear that you are a Sleeping Beauty again.

Great post.

Shalene said...

Lynn, it is so true, how frustrating lack of sleep can be. Especially when you know it's nothing to do with stressful situations. You must clue me in. I suffer from bouts of insomnia quite often, but when I don't have insomnia, I feel like I suffer from bouts of narcolepsy. (Like I could fall asleep at any moment and probably will.) It's so difficult to keep my eyes open! :) I don't know which is worse! No any good homeopathic doctors in CA? Glad to hear your sleeping well again. I'd just like to sleep normally. Though I am getting close. :)

Shalene said...

I meant "know" any good homeopathic doctors in CA. How embarassing! :)

Lori Arriaga said...

Lynn, so true, we are so good at taking care of the needs of everyone else but ourselves. Thanks for the reminder how important it is to take care of ourselves as well.

Anne said...

Lynn, I can relate to the lack of sleep, as I rarely get what I need. Unfortunately it seems the time I really want to rest is on my keyboard at work!

I'm making more effort in all the ways you mentioned, though, and praying to God to continue guiding me in taking care of all of me.

Women often need those reminders!