Friday, August 24, 2007

What if...We Could See the Unseen?

One of my mentors from several years ago recently re-entered my life. It was neat how we were reunited, and we quickly set up a time to meet and give each other updates on what is happening personally and professionally.

What I thought was going to be just a simple catching up with one another, has turned into a collaboration on a future project that will meet a passion and expertise we share for helping leaders. She has also taken my book and workbook to some colleagues for exposure and potentially teaching my work at her organization. I am amazed at life’s surprises when we don’t try to plan them!

Could I have seen this coming? Probably not. Even if I had an “agenda,” I still don’t believe it could have turned out better than it has and I truly believe my mentor would have been turned off to any collaborating projects.

HOW TO SEE THE UNSEEN:

1. Loosen the grip of a tight agenda when you are meeting with an individual or have a certain situation. It could leave room for unexpected positive outcomes.

2. Practice “being” on a daily basis. If all you do every day is produce, you’ll miss the unseen blessings. If you don’t know what “being” looks like, observe the person in your life who seems less stressed and more positive than others.

3. Have a faith in something other than yourself and your capabilities that will free you up to see a fresh, new perspective on your life and how to make a true, lasting impact in the lives of others.

Hebrews 11:1-"Faith is being sure of what you hope for in the evidence of things unseen."

3 comments:

Randee said...

Lynn,

I love what you said: "Have faith in someone other than yourself..." How perfect and in keeping with Scripture.

How much more meaningful our lives would be if we would simply take the focus off ourselves and give this gift to others.

Thanks for sharing.

Anne said...

Lynn, life seems to bring plenty of surprises since I finally opened up my arms and surrendered to God to take the reins out of my hands. I think Oprah says that we can never dream as big as God can dream for us. It seems this was also the case for you when you went to simply catch up with a friend!

Lori Arriaga said...

So true how we need to practice just being on a daily basis.